-- Jack Sleight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
(on Sunday, 10 August 2008, 12:30 AM +0100):
> Bill Karwin wrote:
>> ZF needs to remove all class-loading logic and instead rely on the SPL
>> autoloader.
> I'd really like to see this. There's also the discussion in the wiki
> (http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV/Performance+-+Requiring+the+Autoloader)
>
> about removing all require_once statements from the start of the class
> files, but I'm not really sure where that's at. Many people seem to have
> proved you get a significant performance and memory improvement, yet
> there's no mention of making the necessary changes to the framework yet.
> Any news anyone?

I've begun very, very preliminary planning for 2.0, and this is a change
I'd like to introduce at that time. This is a very large BC change with
how ZF works currently, which is why we need to wait for the major
version change. Additionally, we'll be doing other architectural
changes at that time, such as namespace support, which will make this
sort of change both more meaningful and viable.

That said, this would only affect classes required via require_once in
the current library.  There are a whole slough of other components that
utilize Zend_Loader_PluginLoader, which, after doing some
transformations and filtering, eventually calls
Zend_Loader::isReadable() + include_once to do its work -- and this sort
of thing is necessary for having a plugin architecture. There may be
cases where you want to delegate this to autoloading as well, but we'll
have to examine these cases. Finally, I plan on examining the cases
where Zend_Loader::loadClass() is used _within_ the ZF components and
modifiying these to use the PluginLoader, which is a better solution for
internal usage.

Software Architect       | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Zend Framework           | http://framework.zend.com/