-- Isaak Malik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
(on Sunday, 02 November 2008, 11:33 PM +0100):
> You're viewing it from the viewpoint, that sentence was not about the
> scripting language itself not was it about the frameworks
> specifically. It was about the fact that web applications perform much
> worser on an everyday-computer vs a production server.
>
> Since these benchmarks were performed on an everyday-computer they
> hold very little truth, not only because of the possibility of other
> running software inflicting the results (see my benchmarks) but also
> because these numbers would be much different from the benchmarks
> performed on a Linux production server.

This is true also on Linux desktops. As I've been benchmarking and
profiling ZF for the 1.7.0 release, I've occasionally run benchmarks on
my own machine (which runs Ubuntu). Interestingly, I often get very
different results than when I run on a machine setup specifically as a
production environment for benchmarking. Whenever I have doubts, I try
on the production-tuned environment for a sanity check.

> And if one would perform benchmarks on a Windows server then you
> should at least use the most common software combination of a
> real-time production server which would be Windows + IIS and not
> Windows + Apache.

Precisely. Windows + IIS + FastCGI is the preferred and most performant
way to run PHP when on a Windows environment. Apache simply does not
take full advantage of the OS in this environment, which is why MS put
effort into the FastCGI+PHP environment.

The point is, if you're going to do serious benchmarks, use a machine
appropriately configured for production use; anything less is going to
give skewed results.