Hi,

I did a prototype using ZSL using a database of news articles 40,000.
I had a bit of a mixed experience....

Indexing was fine took a while but nothing unexpected.
Searching using simple queries was ok I think its was something like
0.8 - 2 seconds per search
Searching using ranges failed sometimes and was slow (probably my
config though).
Memory usage was a worry as searches seemed to use a lot, I cant
remember the figures though.

Obviously my prototype was very quick and dirty and in no way is a
benchmark of ZSL, however I did decide to use another search solution
over ZSL based on this.

Thx

Keith

2008/11/7 Ralf Eggert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Hi,
>
> no that is not my opinion, that is the one sentence I heard most during
> the last IPC in Mainz when I talked to others about Zend_Search_Lucene.
> The widespread belief was that Zend_Search_Lucene is a very nice tool
> but it is damn slow with a larger index. I need to add that I did not
> find out if this is related to indexing or searching or both.
>
> So how are your experiences with Zend_Search_Lucene regarding
> performance? Is it really that slow when handling millions of datasets?
> Which process is slow, the indexing or the searching? Did anyone
> encounter performance issues with Zend_Search_Lucene and managed to
> solve it? If yes, how? What about best practices regarding performance.
>
> I just built an application yet that only has ~1.000 datasets and I did
> not notice any issues yet. But maybe someone worked on a much bigger
> index and can provide us with his or her experiences?
>
> Thanks and best regards,
>
> Ralf

[MuTe]