Very anecdotally:
Some months back, I played around with ZSL, importing a reasonably large
database of books -- some eight million rows, with title, author, publisher,
publication date, and so on. The performance was lackluster, to say the
least. Later, I recreated the same indices in Solr, which cut down search
times from several seconds to fractions of a second.

--

~+ http://ultra.bohe.me +~