Lucene is a standard for indexing, Apache Lucene is the Java
implementation of Lucene, Zend_Search_Lucene is the PHP implementation
of Lucene. You can implement Lucene is any language if you follow the
standard.

Solr acts as a server like interface to Lucene, there are many ways of
actually accessing it, but yes Zend_Http_Client is one way.

2008/11/8 till <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Just a general question, but the little I know about both projects, it
> looks like Solr builds on Lucene as well. To access Lucene via Solr
> you basically query via "raw" HTTP, correct? (Zend_Http_Client?)
>
> So is direct access to Lucene always slow, or is the PHP layer
> (Zend_Search_Lucene) "wrapping" Lucene the bottleneck? And if direct
> access is slow as well, how does Solr manage to do it faster? ;-)
>
> Curious,
> Till
>
> On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Hakan Şenol Ensari
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Very anecdotally:
>> Some months back, I played around with ZSL, importing a reasonably large
>> database of books -- some eight million rows, with title, author, publisher,
>> publication date, and so on. The performance was lackluster, to say the
>> least. Later, I recreated the same indices in Solr, which cut down search
>> times from several seconds to fractions of a second.
>> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 9:09 AM, Ralf Eggert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> no that is not my opinion, that is the one sentence I heard most during
>>> the last IPC in Mainz when I talked to others about Zend_Search_Lucene.
>>> The widespread belief was that Zend_Search_Lucene is a very nice tool
>>> but it is damn slow with a larger index. I need to add that I did not
>>> find out if this is related to indexing or searching or both.
>>>
>>> So how are your experiences with Zend_Search_Lucene regarding
>>> performance? Is it really that slow when handling millions of datasets?
>>> Which process is slow, the indexing or the searching? Did anyone
>>> encounter performance issues with Zend_Search_Lucene and managed to
>>> solve it? If yes, how? What about best practices regarding performance.
>>>
>>> I just built an application yet that only has ~1.000 datasets and I did
>>> not notice any issues yet. But maybe someone worked on a much bigger
>>> index and can provide us with his or her experiences?
>>>
>>> Thanks and best regards,
>>>
>>> Ralf
>>

>> --
>>
>> ~+ http://ultra.bohe.me +~