Just a general question, but the little I know about both projects, it
looks like Solr builds on Lucene as well. To access Lucene via Solr
you basically query via "raw" HTTP, correct? (Zend_Http_Client?)

So is direct access to Lucene always slow, or is the PHP layer
(Zend_Search_Lucene) "wrapping" Lucene the bottleneck? And if direct
access is slow as well, how does Solr manage to do it faster? ;-)

Curious,
Till