Nick,

I successfully ran your code ( OS X ) without any modifications except for adding the normal include_path and include PDF.php. Could be your right with the iconv config. Did you try your code only changing the encode param for drawText as illustrated by 'scs'? That is needed if outputting other than latin chars. Run phpinfo and check your iconv default settings ( mine are ISO-8859-1). Try changing those at runtime.

-cd