First, I agree with the RHEL / LTS distro arguments, and can see that
having a negative effect on these companies. My gut reaction is to say no,
we should respect the version we committed to originally, despite the cost
(hey, we can't use traits either... too bad). I can personally confirm that
many companies specifically choose Zend Framework because of the
reliability on these types of matters (more-so backwards compatibility
breaks, but PHP version support plays a large role as well).

That said, due to the ZF policy of backporting security fixes to previous
minor version releases, which matches that of the distributions being cited
here, I don't actually see bumping the PHP version requirement as a
problem. These enterprise users will simply have to be feature-frozen and
only receive minor version updates when a security fix is backported,
period. Missing out on new features and (non-critical) bugfixes *after* such
a change is a cost they have already accepted as part of their policy to
limit themselves strictly to distribution-provided packages.

So, ultimately, I can't say I'd actually be upset either way. All of my
clients who are using enterprise / LTS distributions will still be fine to
use all of the ZF2 features they've come to depend on up until this point,
and we'll still be able to update their ZF2 minor version when/if future
security fixes are released. If such a change meant that enterprise / LTS
distro users would be unable to get critical security fixes, then I'd
strongly be -1 to this, but that is simply not the case here.

--
*Evan Coury, ZCE*
http://blog.evan.pro/