Hey, all --

I never closed this thread, but will do so now.

ZF 2.3.0 WILL bump the version to at least 5.3.9; we may bump to the
last 5.3 release version (5.3.27), as that contains the last security
fixes applied to the 5.3 branch, and distros that provide 5.3 either
have 5.3.3 or 5.3.latest typically; Zend Server, which should run on
just about any OS out there, ships 5.3.27 already, and is a viable
option for upgrade for those whose distros are stuck on older
versions.

We *DO* have precedence for bumping the minimum required version at
minor release versions; we did this with 1.7 (bumped to 5.2.4) and
again with 1.12 (bumped to 5.2.<latest at the time>). Additionally, as
others noted in the thread, if you are "stuck" with an LTS server
edition, typically you are also pinning to specific ZF versions long
term as well, as it's part of your release process.

While I am aware this will displease some of you, we cannot please
everyone, and we have some very real issues in the code base that
require fixes introduced starting in 5.3.9. Considering that we are in
the last few months of security releases for the 5.3 branch, an
upgrade to 5.4 or higher is strongly encouraged by the PHP group
anyways.