Thanks for that. I hadn't tried it yet. I said "orphaned" in the sense that
the manufacturing company no longer seems to exist. Nor had I tried to use
it under OS X. I don't know how simple the script is to make the OS
recognize the card, and for how many iterations moving forward that it will
continue to recognize it. I suspect that OHCI compliant means that it meets
a standard which will be in place at least for the foreseeable future. I did
buy one of the IBM cards last week when you posted that notice. Never hurts
to have a back up.   Also I haven't tried a firewire card with my Dell
running Win 2K. I'm looking forward to that so that I can uses my Burner to
back up the files on that. Our system administrator only gives us 25 mgs out
on the network on the so-called "p" drive.

  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.