I had a dead Pismo 400 as well...didn't react to anything, happened as
in your case, got scared stiff...pulled out the battery and the power
cord, put the battery back in and it worked...maybe just luck and had
nothing to do with power supply 'cos my 256 meg ram module went dead
couple of days later...could it be ram?

cheers,

vlad