the false amber/green light is an indicator.
here's the long(er) version of the explanation.
an iBook batt has a computer in it, for processing and figuring it's
capabilities.. But it needs (and constantly uses) electricity to run. YOu
MUST occasionallly recharge that battery, or it's dead.. once the computer
dies (ie the battery goes down to the point that the computer blips out),
your battery is toast.. Deep six, belly  up, bye bye (my Arafat-ism for the
day)...

So what about the light.. Well.. When you first plug in your machine, it goes
thru a 20 second test run to test out the battery that you've got. It looks
at teh computer in the battery. During that time it shows amber.  If the
battery says it needs charging (ie it's a good battery), it'll stay amber..
IF the computer comes back dead (or doesn't come back),  the light turns
green, telling you it's not charging anything..

So you CAN work without a battery, but your time/date will be hosed everytime
you put to sleep, restart, shutdown, or loose power.. not a great idea, in my
mind....

Just another chapter in my book on toilet seats that think...  : )
Thanks,
David Wegener
www.ibookparts.com

  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.