On 4/21/02 1:36 AM, "(G-Books)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'll try to cut a long story short: After using my Bronze G3/333 for more
> than a year I've come, during the last days across an occasion which I find
> quite good:
>
> A friend of mine has introduced me to an Apple reseller he knows. This guy
> is selling "open box" new iBooks which have been used as demos, so they're
> brand new. The particular machine I'm interested in is a 500mhz/cd. The
> price is quite fair (more or less Usd 900) so I'm quite tempted but:

Just a thought. For about $500 more you get a new one at 600MHz and a 100MHz
bus and lots more memory. I myself use a 500MHz with a 66MHz bus. I traded
price for speed, and I am happy. I also ended up upgrading to 640 Megs RAM
for only $160.

> - I'm worried about the display, it's a 12" and I'm quite accustomed to my
> "old faithful's" HUGE 14" ...

Donšt worry about the display unless you absolutely need the extra 2 inches.
I went from using my iMac with a 21 inch monitor, to using this iBook with
the 21 inch monitor, to just using the iBook. I loved the sharp and crisp
display over size.

> - I also wonder if the additional horsepower which comes from the 500mhz
> processor will be enough to cope with the G3's additional 384mb of ram and
> it's 512k L2 cache. The fact is that I do not have plans to upgrade the
> iBook's ram (128mb in standard configuration) as the prices back here in
> Italy have started raising again very fast.

I can't say for sure whether or not I would use it if I only had 128 Megs
RAM. I wasn't happy with 128. Especially running classic. That was almost
impossible to run classic and a couple other OS X apps. I upped it to 256
and it was more acceptable. That was to only hold me over until I received
my 512 MB chip.

> - I'm currently running 10.1 and a "barebones" 9.2.2 on the 333 and it
> really is fast, I know myself and I know that I would be disappointed if I
> weren't to notice a significant improvement in speed when trying this same
> configuration on the iBook.

I think you will find it more speed than your 333. I am thinking of my iMac
333 compared to my iBook 500 DVD. My iMac 500 DV SE is a bit snappier than
my iBook 500 DVD.

--
Where there's smoke, you'll find my wife cooking dinner.

  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.