Hi all,

I'll try to cut a long story short: After using my Bronze G3/333 for more
than a year I've come, during the last days across an occasion which I find
quite good:

A friend of mine has introduced me to an Apple reseller he knows. This guy
is selling "open box" new iBooks which have been used as demos, so they're
brand new. The particular machine I'm interested in is a 500mhz/cd. The
price is quite fair (more or less Usd 900) so I'm quite tempted but:

- I'm worried about the display, it's a 12" and I'm quite accustomed to my
"old faithful's" HUGE 14" ...
- I also wonder if the additional horsepower which comes from the 500mhz
processor will be enough to cope with the G3's additional 384mb of ram and
it's 512k L2 cache. The fact is that I do not have plans to upgrade the
iBook's ram (128mb in standard configuration) as the prices back here in
Italy have started raising again very fast.
- I'm currently running 10.1 and a "barebones" 9.2.2 on the 333 and it
really is fast, I know myself and I know that I would be disappointed if I
weren't to notice a significant improvement in speed when trying this same
configuration on the iBook.
- Moreover I know that there are a few important plus that go together with
the iBook, better video card, bigger and faster hd, FW ports, the fact that
it is a new machine and so on.

Nonetheless the struggle is still underway in me. So I'm asking for
opinions:

- According to you is the iBook a good buy compared to my 333? Should I
proceed and get the Pb replaced or would it better for me to avoid and
perhaps use the money to upgrade the Pb (bigger hd, more ram, whatever)?

I know that everything is subjective and that it depends on me and on the
kind of things I'm using a Pb for but, I would all the same appreciate your
comments on the matter.

Thanks in advance

Lorenzo

  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.