On Monday, April 22, 2002, at 10:28  PM, JustinLee wrote:

> Would the machine run faster off of a 7200 rpm ATA-100 firewire drive
> (than
> when booted off of the internal 4200 RPM drive).  I would think it
> would.
> Has anyone done this?  Is there a significant difference?

Not appreciably. If you do work that requires heavy disk access, you'll
probably notice a difference..... but chances are, if you've been
working fine on a 4200RPM drive, you aren't doing much of this kind of
work (Final Cut Pro, -serious- photoshopping, etc). The MacOS doesn't
hit the hard drive very hard unless you've got Virtual Memory cranked up
to some obscenely high value, so a faster drive doesn't benefit MacOS
itself very much.

Graphics professionals who use computers with slower RPM drives internal
usually use faster external drives, but don't boot off of them..... they
set these drives as their scratch disks. This is how a faster drive
benefits them most.

  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.