Hello,
This is my first post to the list, so if the solution to my problem has been
flying around on the list then I would not know it. I joined today.

I have recently started experiencing the worst crashes ever, only when
running on battery, and just at random intervals.
The battery can be full, and the crash will occur. I can sometimes restart
the machine, sometimes it does not even want to do that.

Here is what happens:
The screen light goes off. There is some digital rubbish on the screen
(faintly visible, as the light is off), the drive does not stop spinning.
Resetting does not work. I have to hold down the power key to turn off the
machine completely. (The drive goes down and everything goes quiet and
peaceful.) Restarting does not work after such a crash for several minutes.
Not even using the power supply. Then, all of a sudden, I am able to restart
the machine. Sometimes it restarts via on/off button, sometimes it only
starts when I use the reset key-combination... (super strange...)
This is the weirdest thing I have ever experienced with a mac.
My first verdict was that the backup battery is toast. How can I test if it
is?...
The second verdict was that there might be some sort of short with the fan,
but I guess then the book would just randomly crash connected to power or
not. And, the fan just went on... Which means it is probably OK.
It only crashes when I use it on batteries. And there does not seem to be
any connection to any other interaction with the computer. It sometimes
crashes after just minutes, it sometimes goes for more than an hour.

Does anybody know what it could be?...

My configuration:
os9.2.2/pismo500/768MB-ram/48Gig-travelstarHD....

Hope there is somebody out there who knows what is going on here.

Cheers
-witold

  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.