> On this issue of supporting certain companies, I have to side with
> Kyle on this.  Although I've never purchased a Linksys product nor
> had contact with them, I have had contact with Asante on different
> occasions and they have always provided excellent service and stood
> fully behind their products.
>
> I do understand the thought process of buying what works and what is
> less expensive, but what about receiving service after the sale?  If
> the product stops functioning and then you make that phone call for
> help and they say, "no dice", then you are supporting a company that
> doesn't do business the way it should be done.  I prefer to support
> companies that stand behind their product; if I have to pay a couple
> of dollars more, so be it.  I teach consumer ed at the HS level and
> sometimes I use this adage with my students, "You get what you pay
> for!".
>
> When you spend $ on a product, you are in effect "voting" for the way
> that company does business.  I prefer not to vote for a company that
> doesn't stand behind its product, that's why my $ will go to Asante
> or Farallon.

Uh... Maybe I am lost. You have never used their product, or called their
line, so can't speak to their customer service. But them saying on the box
"we support windows XXX" but not supporting you when you call with a mac
question is not standing behind their product?

So far the conversation I've read has been:

"Linksys does not support my platform of choice. It makes my penis feel
smaller, and therefore I feel insecure and fear that maybe I made the wrong
choice, and must bash them."

"Yeah!"

"Yeah!"

"Sorta Yeah!"

> Each person has to make their own decision on their circumstances,
> but I believe it is important to support companies that make and
> stand behind their products (and that "support" compatibility with
> Apple OS).

In this case, they explicitly do not support the mac. It doesn't have a
macOS logo on the box. If you call with a windows question and they tell you
to take a hike, that would be not supporting their product.

If buying from companies that have decided to support the mac is your buying
decision- great, you shouldn't be attacked for it, just like others
shouldn't be attacked for theirs.

--
Michael Bryan Bell

http://homepage.mac.com/michael_bell/