> Ugh!

*nods*

> I'm not a moderator,

No, really?

> but Mike,

Michael. Name shortening is reserved for friends.

> your holier-than-thou tirade
> based on economic philosophy

That what you think it was? What is what you wrote?

> has just earned you time in my penalty
> box.

To quote Linksys tech support: "woop de freakin do, 0.00000001% of 0.03% of
the computing marketshare doesn't like me or comprehend my view point. More
power to you.

> You bought a Linksys, fine it works for you, it's not superior
> because of economic theory, no matter how much you apply your bias for it.

Actually, I didn't. I bought an ABS (white), which has gone dead twice. A
buddy does have a linksys though, and it works great so far.

> Using it to defend poor customer support was a bit weak.

Along with economics, I wish reading comprehension was focused on more. I
was in no way excusing the tech's behavior, although I would guess that the
person most upset in this situation is probably a little more "sensitive" to
certain things than most.

My point (going to be very clear here) is that the person said linksys
wasn't standing behind their product, when they do NOT say they support it.
If I buy office, and call microsoft with a linux question, and then get
pissy even though I think linux SHOULD be supported...

You cannot decide that a company should support whatever you like, and then
say they don't stand behind their product. If you don't get this, I don't
know how to explain it any clearer. It really doesn't seem that difficult.

> Getting poor
> service is a little different than getting none when something has a
> warranty/service offer that was paid for.

See above. If I buy an iPod and call apple saying I want to get it to work
with winXP, they will laugh their asses off and say they can't help you. No
one is being turned away from service on supported platforms that I can tell
whatsoever, just that one apparently easily excitable person keeps getting
tech support pissed at them by insisting they support his platform.

Your ipod MAY work on a pc just fine if you get some specific software for
it, but apple sure as hell doesn't have to support it and you can't say they
weren't standing behind their product, could you?

> Also what's with this
> flip-flopping on standards?

I've flipped no standards, and you've provided no evidence of such.

> For the gold standard of your economic
> philosophy, Linksys should be held to none?

Ok. I am mentally trying to force this into your ear through pure will.
Obviously, reason and certain mindsets do not mix, so this is the last time:

If you buy any product from any manufacturer, and use it in ways they did
not intend or test for or support (however stupid you think that is) you are
on your own, and then demonizing that company for not supporting it is
wrong.

> Fine, Linksys has decided
> they want to stay in business by screwing their customers and blatently
> deny them service outright.

You start giving me cases where they are doing that to customers who have
bought their product and calling in with it on the platforms they support it
for and you will have a point.

Never heard that. At all. And none has been shown here, except for one
person calling in and being told that "no, we don't support mac" and another
one who is very excitable and I can imagine has similar experiences when the
wait is too long at starbucks. One or two isolated cases you can pull from
anywhere, but systematic, such as you get with certain companies (ala
quark), no.

> So
> think a little more before you decide to light a petty flame war and waste
> the rest of our time.

*sigh*

Really, this was not a flame war. Then again, some people don't get that the
simpsons are satire either. This was pointing out how ridiculous certain
parts of the mac cult of personality can get, especially when it starts
making people feel like they will be lashed out at if they say they LIKE a
product.

I could care less what anyone buys. I could care less about you- but if you
decide to buy a linksys and someone goes after you for it, I'll still think
they're indulging in their latent fascist sensibilities a little too much.

--
Michael Bryan Bell

http://homepage.mac.com/michael_bell/

  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.