I recently upgraded from a Wallstreet to a TiBook -- my Wallstreet
died mysteriously and completely, and I spent a week trying to find a
quick cheap fix.  It's possible that all it needs is a new power
supply board, but at the time I didn't have a good source for one.

Anyway, the point is, while there are some aspects of the TiBook that
are not ideal, in general it's been a big win and I don't regret it
at all.  I went for the 500 MHz book, which was on sale at my local
dealer (the newer faster higher-res ones were announced a couple of
weeks later, of course!).

Biggest improvements:  a) more screen real estate -- this is an issue
of resolution, not screen size, though the combination is excellent.
b) lighter, thinner, weighs less in actual daily use -- that is,
combined with the things I need to actually work.  c) longer battery
life -- in actual practice, I find that for a typical day, I don't
need to bring the charger with me, and I almost never shut it down,
instead just putting it to sleep.  d) MORE STABLE -- various programs
that used to crash regularly hardly ever crash now.  Note that I have
less, not more, memory, as I had upgraded the G3 to 512 MB whereas I
am still using the stock 256 MB on the TiBook.  e) combo CDRW/DVD
drive -- I dithered about this, but went for it, and I love it.  I've
only burned a few simple CDs so far, but being able to do so anywhere
has been great.

Biggest complaints:  a) same sucky keyboard and trackpad -- I was
*very* disappointed that Apple failed to take advantage of the larger
format to put in a larger keyboard.  I have big hands.  I hate the
trackpad and have recently realized that it's responsible for a drop
in productivity; I am going to get an external mouse.  b) STILL won't
play DVDs without jittering/skipping -- there was no esxcuse for this
in the Wallstreet, and there's even less excuse now.  It does have
*fewer* problems.  c) Different power adaptor -- I have several
adaptors for my old Wallstreet, and in order to use them I have to
get $20 fiddly bits that make for an uncertain fit.  d) funky power
adaptor -- once again, apple has come up with an adaptor that takes a
non-standard power cord, AND has no easy way to store that cord when
travelling.  On the other hand, it is small and light.  e) no place
to plug in an analog microphone or line level signal; I haven't
gotten a USB mic or adaptor yet.  The built-in mic seems poorly
placed, but I haven't experimented much with it yet.

Fit & Finish: I've had no problems.  Of course, I paid a little more
in order to get it from a local dealer instead of through an online
or mail order dealer, JUST so that I could examine it before
committing.  My Wallstreet had a stuck pixel or two, as did my old
iBook.

I felt inspired to write up this comparison by several recent posts
about TiBooks.

--Mike Bergman