>       How would you like it if somebody managed to take over your
> mac.com address? Would it help much if the person who took it over
> offered to sell it back to you?

If someone was able to "take over my mac.com address" because I hadn't gone
and told apple I wanted to renew it, I'd just have to resubscribe to a bunch
of lists. It would suck, but oh well its my own fault. You are leasing a
property, not buying it.

Just like I lease my loft a year at a time. If for some reason my landlords
mail was not getting to me asking if I wanted to renew- and someone else
came along and loved the location (even if they didnšt want to move there
just yet) and leased it from my landlord... That person didn't "pirate" my
loft.

It would suck for me, but it would be my fault as I didn't go to my landlord
near the end of the year and say "hey, haven't heard from you but my loft is
important to me and I'd like to lease it again for a year."

In no way do I imply that what happened to them doesn't suck- but if
macslash is a victim whatsoever it is to their own ignorance, and what they
did to this guy (releasing his email to thousands of people, asking that
they all email him saying how awful he is) was unconscionable, abusive, and
just plain icky.

Michael Bryan Bell