A note of perspective on the horrible situation with Lombard hinges failing.

The general lifespan of a standard PC desktop is considered around 6months.
After that it's obsolete.
The general lifespan of a standard Mac desktop/tower is considered around
9months-1yr.After that it's obsolete
The general lifespan of a standard PC laptop (toshiba/IBM/Dell) is generally
considered around a year. After that it's obsolete.
THhe general lifespan of a standard Mac laptop is generally considered around
18 months.

I'm sure this will start a flame war about somebody's Mac512k that is "not
obsolete", but those of us in the real world need to have machines which will
run modern software at modern speeds. The rest of Mayberry may want to use an
LCII and consider it modern, but it isn't.  I still use my Powerbook 170
(from 1989), but it is obsolete.

Now.  The lombard was built in 1999. That is more than 6, 9, 12, 18, or even
24 months ago.  That is more like 36-48 months.   Maybe YOUR car runs 350,000
miles without needing a new timing belt, but mine doesn't. Perhaps your car
goes 400,000 miles without having the shocks get a little springy. Mine
doesn't.

I happened to look at the spec's on my Pismo this afternoon. It's a 2000,
500mhz, and the drive is a 6month old 30gig fujitsu. It shows just over
4.8MILLION writes to the drive.  That's not read/writes--that's JUST writes.
Anyone care to comment on how they'd feel after 4million of ANYTHING?

Get a grip people.  A laptop running the equivalent of a third lifetime is
going to have a few problems!  Even if it is a Mac, it's not perfect!

Yes the Lombard hinges do tend to get weak over time. But they're NOT THAT
BAD.  And considering that they can be replaced for less than $100, it's
probably not worth whining about too much.  If I were bent double four or
five times a day, then slung in a backpack and bounced across town, I'd
probably fail after three or four years. What about you?

Thanks,
David