I'm sorry, but after reading david's e-mail, I just couldn't stop cracking up!

"I'm sure this will start a flame war about somebody's Mac512k that is "not
obsolete", but those of us in the real world need to have machines which will
run modern software at modern speeds. The rest of Mayberry may want to use an
LCII and consider it modern, but it isn't."

Oh yeah, that's obsolete, I'll agree with you. But one thing that apple has
always been strong in is durability. That's why we still HAVE our performas
and quadras and powerbook 520c's and why maybe two people have their old 386
packard bell's. Apple's products are just overall much more reliable. So I
can understand why someone would be concerned that their apple product has a
specific part that might wear out. Its not really as common as other
household products.

" Maybe YOUR car runs 350,000
miles without needing a new timing belt, but mine doesn't. Perhaps your car
goes 400,000 miles without having the shocks get a little springy. Mine
doesn't. "

If apple made cars, I bet mine would wouldn't need a new belt, and I bet the
shocks would be comfortable ( = . Then again, if microsoft built cars, they
would be ten dollars, go a million miles an hour, and crash every month,
killing all the passengers. (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

"I happened to look at the spec's on my Pismo this afternoon. It's a 2000,
500mhz, and the drive is a 6month old 30gig fujitsu. It shows just over
4.8MILLION writes to the drive.  That's not read/writes--that's JUST writes.
Anyone care to comment on how they'd feel after 4million of ANYTHING?  "

Well, since you asked...
At this point I just started laughing. I mean, I can understand your points,
but don't get so carried away, buddy. 4.8 million bucks would make me feel
pretty damned good. And also, I don't see how the hard drive has anything to
do with the hinges- Hard drives get written to and even to write a megabyte,
it will have accessed 1024 byte locations and written to each. Heck, those
megabytes add up, don't they? I think you see where I'm going with that one.
Especially cause you know how your pismo's hard drive really has too much to
do with a lombard's hinges.

"Get a grip people.  A laptop running the equivalent of a third lifetime is
going to have a few problems!  Even if it is a Mac, it's not perfect! "

Well, we weren't freaking out or selling our lombards or crying hysterically
in our houses, so don't tell us to get a grip. It just annoys me. Oh yeah,
and I don't think anyone can consider the shelf life of a product to be its
lifetime. My quicksilver dual 800's G4 is running the same up to date
software like adobe 6 and lightwave as the quicksilvers released a year
later. Again, I think you know that I just consider everything you wrote from
about two paragraphs previous to this to be overkill and inaccurate.

"And considering that they can be replaced for less than $100, it's
probably not worth whining about too much.  If I were bent double [over?]
four or
five times a day, then slung in a backpack and bounced across town, I'd
probably fail after three or four years. What about you?"

Well, I hardly consider two or three concerned e-mails to be whining. Oh yea,
and us students usually DO have to bend over for our five times a day with a
bookbag and so far I haven't failed. I mean, wouldn't have said anything
about that, but you asked "What about you?" ( :

Okay, that's all for me. Thanks for being such a good sport, I think you can
recognize that everyone gets a little over zealous once and again ( =

-Dyl

Don't Personify computers,
they hate that.