>  >Sorry to escalate this, but IMHO, not shutting it down means you are
>>contributing t0 the overall wasteful use of energy that has brought us
>>to such a sorry global state. Pick global warming or Middle Eastern
>>warfare: they both come down, in part, to lack of self-discipline on
>>saving energy. Think globally, act locally, etc.
>>---David Stephenson
>>
>Thanks for jumping in with that. It shouldn't matter whether you or I
>personally can afford the utility bill, we should think globally.
>Wish my kids would latch on to this (cable TV box, lights, TVs,
>lights, radios, more lights etc).

Not shutting it down doesn't mean we use more electricity. When I
know I will be gone for more than an hour I put my TiBook to sleep. I
only plug in peripherals when I use them  and my TV goes on for a
couple hours a day. Even leave my lights off most of the day; in
addition I bought a Krypton light for my 'book that gives a lot of
light off and runs off the battery.

However I am anal about this because I do have two computers, a
monitor, one hub, one switch and a cable modem that are on
constantly... and a couple of fans... and other needed household
items. My bills are still pretty high (they were before I moved the
servers in-house)

Now, we need to keep these political discussion to off-list. Talk
about using too much energy or global warming are not directly
related to the daily operation of the computers or the problems
contained therein.

I save as much as I can. I recycle as much as I can. But some people
require a computer on 26 hours/day and I have two of those. My laptop
needs very very very very little to run with the display off, hard
drive spun down and the minimum of power going to the CPU.

Consider that.

--
Ryan Coleman
PC/Mac Tech