> Even using an APC 500 backup when my power goes I have about 20 seconds to
> race to
> shut off my servers until the power just pops and everything goes black.  You
> really DO need a very expensive surge protector to give you any real level of
> safety.

You're talking about something all-together different- ie, surge surpressor
that you can buy for $35 and a battery backup. To say that the former gives
you 0% protection due to it not having a battery backup just isn't true- it
just won't stop power failures.

But anyone who has had sensitive equipment on a line prone to small surges
and spikes die (say, cheaper external modems made by motorola, lord) knows
that they'll stop you from having to send the modem in every once in awhile.

> I had the power in my building spike last year 35 times in a few minutes
> (California blackouts).  I had a $200 variety Surge protector on my G4.  My G4
> fried.  Literally.  I called the surge protector company to ask about the
> warranty
> and they said "tough luck."  Said that they wouldn't cover a situation like
> mine.
> Luckily I got my landlord to pay for the damage.

Heh, that sucks so bad it's not even funny. But it really is a different
situation than most products are made for, ie, you were asking a product to
do something it wasn't intended for.

If you take a cheap digital camera (ie, $[EMAIL PROTECTED]) into the rain forest and
it dies do to the excessive humidity and moisture... That does not mean you
have to own a nikon F5 in order to have a camera of value. Just that the
different cameras are made for different environments and usage levels. If
your usage levels demand you need one of them, it doesn't make the other
worthless.

Michael Bryan Bell