During my break in moving, Remy Davison said:
> >There's even MPEG-2 decoding in OS X
>
> MPEG-2 decoding in OS X (and various versions of Apple's DVD player on
> Pismo and later) is in software, not hardware. Apple added DVD player in
> OS X 10.0.3 or something (?). In OS 9, QT provides a software MPEG-1
> decoder.
>
>  >but you need to buy the
> >MPEG-2 decoder ($20).
>
> No, you've misconstrued that. It's not a player. It's a QuickTime
> add-on.

Actually, it's a 'codec.' it gives QuickTime Player two new
functionalities -- both encoding and decoding MPEG-2 in software. What
does this mean, exactly? It means QuickTime Player can now play MPEG-2
streams as well as create them. codec is a contraction of "COmpress,
DECompress".

Calling Apple's DVD Player "software decoding" is slightly misleading.
the MPEG-2 decoding is still done in hardware on the graphics card. The
part that has been off-loaded into software is decrypting the CSS copy
protection. Note that if you replace a G4's graphics card with an
inappropriate card, you get a message in DVD Player about "the required
hardware could not be found." As long as you install a card with MPEG-2
Support and Mac drivers, DVD Player (generally) continues to work.

I watch MPEG-1 movies in OS X all the time. I don't have any VCDs, so I
couldn't comment on that. But MPEG-1 is definitely there. (FWIW, "MP3"
is really MPEG-1 Layer 3). Most of my anime library is in MPEG-1.