Taking a break from moving, I heard Eugene Lee say:

> Well, Lombard needs speedier hardware to decode DVDs in software.  But
> hardware decoding beats out software decoding any day.  I'm surprised
> that I still hear occasional complaints from TiBook owners with the
> occasional DVD skipping, yet another

I dunno. I have the original TiBook 400. I get a VERY occasional skip
when playing DVDs in OS 9 but never have had a skip in OS X. I play lots
of DVDs, DVDs, lots of high-motion DVDs.... no skips here in OS X.

It's worth noting that software decoding DVD is not entirely done in
software. There are two things that need to be done when watching a DVD:
MPEG-2 decoding and encryption decoding. On a software decoding system,
one is done in software, the other is done in hardware, on the graphics
card. Take a brand new PowerMac G4 and replace the graphics card with
something else..... DVD playback won't work, and you'll get a message
saying "the required hardware could not be found" when you try. I could
be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the MPEG-2 decoding is what's done by
the graphics card, with the encryption being done in software. I could
be wrong about which is done where, but I think I've got it the right
way around.