>> Granted, no s/w DVD decoding on Lombard/Wallstreet, but I'm probably one
>> of the few who couldn't care less about that. I can watch VCDs in X now,
>> and that's what counts (using MacVCD - QT doesn't work as there's no s/w
>> MPEG-1 decoder in X).
>
>MPEG-1 decoding in OS X, but has nothing to do with VCDs. VCD uses
>MPEG-2.

No.
VCDs use MPEG-1.
DVDs use MPEG-2.

>There's even MPEG-2 decoding in OS X

MPEG-2 decoding in OS X (and various versions of Apple's DVD player on
Pismo and later) is in software, not hardware. Apple added DVD player in
OS X 10.0.3 or something (?). In OS 9, QT provides a software MPEG-1
decoder.

 >but you need to buy the
>MPEG-2 decoder ($20).

No, you've misconstrued that. It's not a player. It's a QuickTime add-on.

 >No legal MPEG-2 decoder is free (unless they've
>magically found a loophole in the MPEGLA's licensing). MacVCD X is $20,
>too.
MacVCD doesn't do MPEG-2, only MPEG-1 (VCD, as noted above). And, since
it's the only app that can do VCD in OS X (Present Movie and Cellulo
can't), $20 is worth the price of entry if you watch VCDs frequently.

Cheers,

RD

Remy Davison
Contributing Editor/News Editor, Insanely-Great Mac
<http://www.insanely-great.com> mail: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
RD's PowerBook page: <http://www.macpowerbook.com>