This has got to be a one-in-a-million opportunity for me. I get to correct
Kyle. What joy.

I've included a portion of the iPod warranty information from Apple's site
down below. The easiest way to get to this is to go to the store site, click
on the iPod, and then click on the link for warranty information. I was first
told verbally about this extension of warranty by someone working at the
Apple booth at Macworld Expo. He also told me that it was retroactive. I
immediately confirmed this myself by searching Apple's website. The
retroactive part is harder to confirm. The only thing I've seen in print (and
I can't remember right now where this was) indicated retroactivity going back
six months. But I was told it applied to all the iPods. And folks for whom I
work were able to confirm this with Apple. And I had gotten my son's for him
last Christmas. I indicated the appropriate purchase date and serial number
when I put my claim in, and was told that it was covered under the warranty.
I have cited actual experience and facts, not speculation. Sorry Kyle.

Michelle
-----------------------
Michelle K. Wachtel, Apple Product Professional, Inspiration to Information
804/794-6435, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<A HREF="http://www.carbonus.com/23";>www.carbonus.com/23</A> or <A
HREF="http://www.4allnaturals.com/23";>www.4allnaturals.com/23</A>

: Apple Limited Warranty - iPod

WARRANTY COVERAGE
Apple's warranty obligations for the iPod are limited to the terms set forth
below:

Apple Computer, Inc. ("Apple") warrants the iPod product against defects in
materials and workmanship for a period of one (1) year from the date of
original purchase ("Warranty Period").

If a defect arises and a valid claim is received by Apple within the Warranty
Period, at its option, Apple will (1) repair the product at no charge, using
new or refurbished replacement parts, (2) exchange the product with a product
that is new or which has been manufactured from new or serviceable used parts
and is at least functionally equivalent to the original product, or (3)
refund the purchase price of the product.

In a message dated 7/27/02 1:38:42 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Please reread my posts. As I stated, the iPod is still under the one-year
> warranty (the 90-day warranty is gone -- it is now one year). And I did
state
> that there is no extended AppleCare coverage available for purchase for the
> iPod. But when one requests service, whether for a product under its
original
> warranty or under AppleCare, you go to the same place on Apple's website --
> the AppleCare Support area. It is the same group of folks who are handling
> the situation. So the cudos went to the right group of people.

Wrong.  Unless Apple changed their policy in the last 12 hours or so...all
iPods
have *only* a 90 day warranty.  Not one year...as one would assume with a
piece
of Apple hardware. If you sent an iPod back to Apple outside of the 90 day
period and got service on it you are one in a million.  I had an iPod that
failed after 94 days.  Drive reported bad blocks.  Even though I used to work
for Apple, and I am currently a certified Mac tech, they would not warranty
it.
I called and complained for 3 days straight and finally got them to agree, but
it was made VERY clear that Applecare does not apply to iPods (due to their
mobile tendencies) and that they were making an exception in my case.