on 06/09/02 05:09, markemmanuel at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I argue no.  I do not see Apple making the profit they want and wouldn't
> be very profitable.  As it stands, Apple needs to sell hardware.
> Remember during the clone wars?  That may happen again unless Apple
> builds MacOS X's marketshare.  Now, I pose the question, who would buy a
> license for something like iDVD or iMovie?  How much would Apple
> charge?  Now remember, the i-apps are part of MacOS X.
>

> On Friday, September 6, 2002, at 12:44 AM, Ryan Coleman wrote:
>
>> Are you saying their software is *not* profitable? iDVD, iMovie, OS X
>> are very porfitable. If they didn't do hardware, they probably could
>> do very well in those categories. And the hardware does well too.

But Apple could replace the PowerPC and keeps the rest of the architecture
of the machines they have today. Then, an x86 version would be handy, but
that doesn't mean that OS X would run on your neighbor's Dell (or Gateway or
whatever).

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Heuristics are bug ridden by definition. If they didn't have bugs, then
they'd be algorithms."