On 9/6/02 5:49 AM, "Laurent Daudelin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> But Apple could replace the PowerPC and keeps the rest of the architecture
> of the machines they have today. Then, an x86 version would be handy, but
> that doesn't mean that OS X would run on your neighbor's Dell (or Gateway or
> whatever).
>
> -Laurent.
> --

That's exactly what I wouldn't mind seeing.

I mean, I am not a Mac addict because of the PowerPC chip.

I like the end result. The interface. I love X. Truth be told, when I tried
out my first Mac in 1999, it was the cheap low end iMac. I was going to try
it for a year to see what it was like while I was in Korea. I wasn't too
impressed. It crashed just as much as my Windows 9x machine did. I was going
to go back to a PC until I heard of the coming of OS X. So I stayed, and
bought the public beta, and even bought the high end iMac to run it on. I
was soooo happy with it, and that is why I stayed Mac.

So if Apple decided to use a Pentium 4 (or equivalent) in a closed
architecture system, I wouldn't mind.

I would mind if they used the standard PC architecture, because I truly
think Apple would die because of it. I don't think they make enough revenue
from their software. OK...so they sold 100,000 copies of Jag in their first
weekend, or was it 150? Either way...not enough to support them. They would
have to seriously downsize, and that would lesson quality.

My opinion of course...and everybody has one...just like...nevermind ;)

Walt