Walter Basil writes:

>"As Apple Computer Inc. draws up its game plan for the CPUs that will power
>its future generations of Mac hardware, the company is holding an ace in the
>hole: a feature-complete version of Mac OS X running atop the x86
>architecture."

Apple has been porting the Mac OS to Intel since the "Star Trek" version
of System 7.something. NeXTstep, the OS most directly related to Mac OS
X, started on 68030 and '040 hardware, but it was later ported to Intel
as well.

But as Steve Jobs mentioned, Apple likes to keep its options open. You
can bet that Apple is also porting OS X to other platforms -- maybe the
Alpha chip, IBM's Power series, Itanium, and who knows what else. This
means that if Motorola ever collapses under its own incompetence, Apple
can pick up without missing a beat.

It doesn't mean Apple will ever sell x86 computers, but it does mean that
Apple could sell OS X as an alternate OS for that hardware. Imagine how
many might abandon Windows and Linux for such an OS....

But don't expect Apple to ever move to Wintel hardware. Even if they did
decide to use the Athlon or Pentium, I'd expect them to design their own
motherboard with their own ROMs to keep the Mac experience integrated,
something Wintel kludge hardware simply can't offer.

--
Dan Knight, president, Cobweb Publishing, Inc.
 <http://cobwebpublishing.com> <http://lowendmac.com>

The more acceptance that technology gets, the harder it is to change.
If enough people are stuck at the same level, they think it's the truth.
  -- Bjarne Stroustrup