On Tuesday, September 10, 2002, at 11:55  AM, Mark wrote:

> Laurent Daudelin on 9/6/02 1:03 PM wrote:
>
>> If your TV has components input or your VCR, then it's pretty easy.
>> Component means an RCA kind of connector, or what we used to call
>> "phono"
>> jack.
>
> I thought that was referred to as a composite jack or connector?

all of the above are correct. more or less. it's called composite
usually only when you're speaking about the video connector, but usage
has blurred in that respect. "component" refers to the fact that each
cable carries a different component - video, left channel audio, and
right channel audio. phono refers to the phono nature of each audio
cable -- individually they don't carry a stereo signal.

in common usage, people use all 3 terms interchangeable.