>After installing x.1 on my wallstreet (300mhz 8/192) the installer
>restarted my computer after counting down 30 seconds, it booted up into my
>other OS (9.1) on another partition and I went to the startup disk control
>panel and selected my partition w/ X to boot on.  The booting of X failed
>and I got this screen in small black text on a white background:
>
>DEFAULT CATCH!  code=FFF00700 at % SRRO: 01C00510   % SRR!: 00083070
>
>Open Firmware, 2.0.1
>To continue booting MacOS type:
>BYE <return>
>To continue booting from the default boot device type:
>BOOT <return>
>For Open Firmware serial I/O type:
>TTYA IO <return>
>   ok
>
>I chose BOOT the second option, it immediately responded with:
>   BOOT CLAIM failed
>I then chose BYE which sent into booting OS 9.1
>
>After (without switching anything startup disk was still one with X.1
>installed) rebooting again, I got the same message this time choose the
>third one, For open firmware... and this gave me a black screen and a still
>spinning hard drive, so after ten minutes and trying to restart the machine
>manually with various key combinations, I pulled the power plug and battery
>shutting the machine down.  After rebooting I got the same screen, this
>time choosing BYE which caused it to search for an OS on the drive finally
>giving me a flashing ? mark, signaling no OS found.  I dug out a boot cd
>and booted the machine to OS 8.5.1 and neither partition on the hard drive
>was found after going through all the apple utilities and searching for any
>other volumes then my boot cd.  After shutting down, now I reboot and I
>back at that command prompt screen again.
>What can I do?
>Hopefully this won't involve wiping the hard drive...
>All help is greatly appreciated!!!!
Boot into 8.5 or whatever's available and run Disk Warrior 2.1.1. It will
repair directory damage in OS X, which is what sounds like happened here.
Should get the partitions back but X may still be trashed. Try
reinstalling 10.1.5 or whatever was there last. If not, use the X install
CD and you should be back to normal.

Otherwise, use Norton's or Data Rescue to scavenge the volume. Norton X
is a boot CD. DiskWarrior is also available as a  boot CD.

You can even boot a Wallstreet in OS 9 using a Compact Flash card if you
want a rapid boot and space to put disk tools onto.

BTW, _never_ pull the power or the batt to shut down - this is a sure
fire way to crash a drive and, ultimately, to physically damage a hard
drive.

I use an expansion bay drive as an alternative to boot my Lombard, but a
CF card will do just as well, or a custom- burnt CD with your disk tools
on it.

Cheers,

RD

Remy Davison
Contributing Editor/News Editor, Insanely-Great Mac
<http://www.insanely-great.com> mail: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
RD's PowerBook page: <http://www.macpowerbook.com>