On Monday, September 23, 2002, at 04:34  AM, Demetrius wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   Just wanted to get some feedback concerning .Mac. How many members
> have joined? Is it really worth the money?I have not joined yet, but I
> am considering the possibility.
>
>   Demetrius

Demetrius, it all depends on what you will use in the services.

Will you use the email services? I use this extensively, but was not
the deciding factor itself.

Can you use iDisk? Would you like to have a holding space for files
larger than email allows? Or could you use it to backup your address
book, internet prefs, etc.? Would you like to brainlessly publish your
pictures from iPhoto on the web for your family/friends to see? Would
you like to publish certain parts of your calendar/schedule for others
to see without hardly any effort on your part? The combination of iCal,
iPhoto, and email is what brought me back over to .Mac.

Do you already have virus protection? Virex 7.1 is offered as part of
the .Mac services, however there are other alternatives, that are
easier to use, and don't require a command line interface command to
update the virus signatures. I already use NAV, and many others on this
list tell me it is a piece of sh!t, but I love it, and all I have to do
is hit an update button to update my signatures, and it scans on the
fly, that is it it scans email downloads and internet downloads, or
file transfers from other computers, etc. Virex 7.1 for OS X does not
do this. You have to manually scan your files. Some people get around
this by making clever applescripts that automatically scan the desktop
folder when something is placed on it. This has no value for me, but
when they fix those two shortcomings, I will switch over to it. I was
just reading on the help forms of .Mac that Apple themselves use
brightmail something or other to scan all of .mac email, which uses
Symantec virus signatures. Funny, Apple should choose to use that, and
give us users something else... Also on the .Mac web help forums,
everyone has reported some fake virus that you can email or download
yourself to check your virus program's capabilities. Everyone on there
reports that Virex 7.1 for X has failed to report, or recognize it as a
virus. Who knows. I have never caught a virus, so my anti-virus
programs have always been insurance policies that I have never cashed
in on or benefitted from.    :)

Can you use a backup routine? With .Mac's Backup, you can backup your
office/appleworks files, among others, your preferences, address book,
etc., and also specify what you want backed up. Since I have it, I am
giving it a shot, and it uses up about 25 megs of my iDisk. Not too
bad. Normally I have just backed up my Documents folder every 2 weeks
or so onto CD. This had no deciding factor on my use of .Mac, but now
that I have it I am giving it a shot.

You have to decide for yourself if the services they offer can be used
enough by you to justify the price of admission.

Walt