Kenneth Stevens writes:

>>   Just wanted to get some feedback concerning .Mac. How many members
>> have joined? Is it really worth the money?I have not joined yet, but I
>> am considering the possibility.
>
>I am happy with the service but I am also one of those greedy Apple
>stockholders that like to see Apple make money, or at least cover
>expenses.  Apple says that they had 100,000 users as of last week with
>1000 new subscribers signing up each day.  That number will drop when
>the ability to convert existing accounts at $49 expires.
>
>I have yet to meet anyone who can truthfully say they bought a Mac
>because the .Mac service was free.  I would rather see Apple spend its
>money on hardware/software innovations that do result in computer sales.
>
>It amazes me that if Apple opened up Apple branded merchandise for
>sale, a lot of the people would spend $$$ for  Mac t-shirts, baseball
>caps, keychains and bumper stickers.  All of this to advertise we love
>our Macs.  Pay for a .mac email address - heaven forbid.

I, too, am an Apple shareholder, but I think I need to remind Kenneth
Stevens that Apple is one of very few computer companies that is
profitable these days. From my perspective, .mac smacks of desperation.

It amazes me that Apple thinks the same people who bitch about no
discount for upgrading from OS X 10.1.x to 10.2 wouldn't also bitch about
paying $100 -- or even $50 -- to keep an email account in service when it
had been free.

I'm guessing that most iTools users are like me and the other members of
my family: We've never used anything except for the email address. I'm
sure Apple has the data to look at the number of iTools users and
determine what percentage don't take advantage of the additional service.
I'm guessing that percentage would be very high.

Apple got 4-5% of iTools users to sign up for .Mac at $50/year, putting
$5 million in Apple's coffers and generating untold ill will. I'm
guessing the value of the ill will outweighs the value of the income.

As an Apple stockholder and mac.com email user, I wish Apple had given
the two million plus iTools users a $10/year email only option. At that
price I and maybe 500,000 others would stick with it, adding $5 million
more to Apple's bottom line and creating good will -- Apple, a company
that listens.

I love my Macs and both types of Mac OS, but I'm not particularly pleased
with the way Apple runs their business. They show a low regard for their
customers when they offer a new version of the OS with no upgrade option
and turn a free service many had used primarily for email into a high
cost service.

--
Dan Knight, president, Cobweb Publishing, Inc.
 <http://cobwebpublishing.com> <http://lowendmac.com>

Computers are like air conditioners; they don't work when you open
windows.