That's not true. AOL/TimeWarner, Earthlink, and other ISPs aren't like
.Mac. They provide internet access to their customers. .Mac merely gives
you some tools you can use, but there is no internet service attached.
So it is not totally different, but different enough that your argument
is not really valid.

I agree that .Mac is a fairly nice package that is a good deal - to some
people. If you need all the features, then it's great. If you only use
the email (like me), it's not worth it. I decided to just use the email
address my university provided, because it's free and they provide 15MB
of IMAP storage, and a webmail system as well.