<< Considering how many companies (Microsoft, for instance) offer free
email, I'm sure Apple could find a way to do it for more than nothing but
much less than $49. >>

Hmmm, free email that gives me a 5MB mailbox that gets purged if I don't use
it for a 30-day period? That's a good deal? Nah. For me, the 100MB iDisk (a
great way to transfer large files (i.e. more than even 2-3 MBs) to folks
whose mail servers don't allow them to receive large attachments is alone a
good enough reason for .Mac. For a brand-new user or any other user who has
not already spent money on Norton Antivirus and Retrospect Express, getting
Virex and Backup makes it cost-effective. And if you use a digital camera,
being able to get 100 free Kodak prints (valued at ~$50) is not a bad deal
either. You have to look at the entire picture. Granted, Apple has been
tacking on inducements (like the Kodak prints) to try to persuade people to
go for it, but I think we're being, as a whole, far too cynical than we ought
to be. I'm not a lemming, by any means, but Apple assassination from within
the ranks is quite distressing.

Michelle