Bruce Johnson writes:

>Dan Knight wrote:
>
>> It amazes me that Apple thinks the same people who bitch about no
>> discount for upgrading from OS X 10.1.x to 10.2 wouldn't also bitch about
>> paying $100 -- or even $50 -- to keep an email account in service when it
>> had been free.
>
>Actually, Apple doesn't think that. The number of people bitching and
>whining about paying for the OSX 10.2 upgrade were all pretty much the
>same cheap b******d's who were kvetching about iTools and .Mac.

My point exactly. Over 2 million iTools users and about 2.5 million Mac
OS X users were affected by these twin bone-headed decisions.

>Apple has sold a bucketload of 10.2 boxes (100K their opening weekend at
>$129 per, that's revenues of 12.9 million right there, easily surpassing
>the 5M they've gotten from .Mac so far.)

So only about 4-5% of X users jumped on Jaguar -- about the same
percentage willing to pay to retain their mac.com email address.

Think about it.

>> Apple got 4-5% of iTools users to sign up for .Mac at $50/year, putting
>> $5 million in Apple's coffers and generating untold ill will. I'm
>> guessing the value of the ill will outweighs the value of the income.
>
>Only among the people kvetching about it, and if they're too cheap to
>pay $50 /year for the service, if it means that much to them, they're
>certainly too cheap to be buying new Macs.

I bought a new Mac in January 2001 -- the third new Mac and fourth new
Mac OS computer in over a decade as a Mac user. I'm not too cheap to buy
a new computer when there's a reason to do so, nor am I too cheap to buy
an OS upgrade or pay for .mac if the benefits outweigh the costs.

It seems that 90% of iTools users and OS X users have not yet decided
that the cost of .mac and/or Jaguar provides sufficient benefits. By
offering more affordable options (email only accounts, Jaguar upgrade
packages), Apple might have doubled or tripled the number of people
willing to upgrade.

>> As an Apple stockholder and mac.com email user, I wish Apple had given
>> the two million plus iTools users a $10/year email only option. At that
>> price I and maybe 500,000 others would stick with it, adding $5 million
>> more to Apple's bottom line and creating good will -- Apple, a company
>> that listens.
>
>That would have probably been a better option than cutting them off
>completely, but I wonder if it would have been cost-effective.

Considering how many companies (Microsoft, for instance) offer free
email, I'm sure Apple could find a way to do it for more than nothing but
much less than $49.

>> I love my Macs and both types of Mac OS, but I'm not particularly pleased
>> with the way Apple runs their business. They show a low regard for their
>> customers when they offer a new version of the OS with no upgrade option
>> and turn a free service many had used primarily for email into a high
>> cost service.
>
>ROFL!!! Go buy a peecee and see how most computer users are treated.

What a bunch of crap. That's like my complaining how long it takes to get
a Leica repaired (because they so often have to go back to Germany) and
you telling me to be glad it's not a cheapo Kodak Advantix camera.

What in the world does the way Microsoft, Dell, or Gateway treat their
customers have to do with the way Apple should treat theirs? I should be
happy because Apple tries to screw me less?

>Moreover, if you don't get on the wagon now, you're gonna be off any
>upgrade pricing at all in the future, with MS.

On the other hand, the new Apple "upgrade" policy tells me that I'm
better off sticking with 10.1.5 as long as I can and then paying for a
full-cost upgrade to 10.3 or 10.4 somewhere down the road, since Apple
apparently isn't ever going to offer discounted upgrades to Mac users.

Maybe these aren't concerns for iCEOs with $10 million jets and his board
of directors, but for those of us in the trenches who scrape to buy RAM
upgrades, bigger hard drives, new Macs every 2-5 years, and software
updates, $49 for .mac and $129 for Jaguar is real money.

--
Dan Knight, president, Cobweb Publishing, Inc.
 <http://cobwebpublishing.com> <http://lowendmac.com>

"As for Unix being 'inflexible,' 'expensive,' and 'complex,' we feel
those are terms much better suited to the closed and proprietary world of
Windows." Sun