On 30/09/02 10:40, "Joe Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I started this thread a while back and got sidetracked by some other issues,
> but I've now returned to it, it's not just my hard drive not sleeping, it's
> the whole machine staying awake.
>
> Specifics:
> 400 MHZ G3 Powerbook (Pismo)
> OS 10.2.1
> 40 GB Hard drive
> 768 MB RAM
>
> If I tell it to sleep via the menu item, the screen goes dark, then comes
> back on.
> If I close the lid, the drive still runs and while the screen seems off;
> when I re-open the lid there is no delay everything seems available
> instantly.
> If I close the lid and leave it closed for extended periods of time
> (overnight) the screen stays dark and I have to do a restart via
> cntl+cmd+pwr buttons to get it run.
>
> My questions are:
> 1.Has anyone else seen this type of thing and if so have you cured it and
> how?
> 2. I've seen references to Powerbooks having sleep problems with Jaguar, are
> they ongoing or has Apple documented a fix?
>
> Any help or related comments would be appreciated.
>
> Joe Ellis

I'm also using a Pismo 400 with 10.2.1, although with a Travelstar 20 GB and
512 MB RAM and never experienced any problem with sleep. Computer goes to
sleep as expected and wakes up as expected, all the time, which is many
times a day.

In your case, I would suspect some background process preventing the
computer to sleep. Did you try quitting all applications before trying to
put the computer to sleep? Did you install any kind of software that could
prevent the computer from sleeping, like a fax software or something
similar? You could maybe grab the content of your ProcessViewer window when
trying to sleep so we would maybe be able to help you more.

-Laurent.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   Washington, DC, USA
featurectomy /fee`ch*r-ek't*-mee/ n.: The act of removing a feature from a
program. Featurectomies come in two flavors, the `righteous' and the
`reluctant'. Righteous featurectomies are performed because the remover
believes the program would be more elegant without the feature, or there is
already an equivalent and better way to achieve the same end. (Doing so is
not quite the same thing as removing a misfeature.) Reluctant featurectomies
are performed to satisfy some external constraint such as code size or
execution speed.