On Saturday, Nov 2, 2002, at 00:10 US/Eastern, Charlie Meyerson wrote:

> For the second time in less than a year, I've just received a
> replacement
> yo-yo adapter from Apple for my graphite iBook (SE). Two now have
> developed
> shorts or some other defect that prevents the iBook from getting a
> charge
> (no green or orange light at the computer's power-input; one can even
> see
> sparks in one adapter cord, where it plugs into the computer). To its
> credit, Apple has provided replacements speedily and without hassle,
> even
> though the iBook has technically been out of warranty for a few weeks
> now.

Lucky you.   The one I got with my used Powerbook failed a month out of
warrantee (pretty blue arc on that one).  The second one that I *paid*
for also failed a month or two out of warrantee (no pretty blue arc).
The third one burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp...oh
wait, there was no third yo-yo.  I wised up and bought a BTI one.
Good, strong wire.

I would get something else if I were you.  My sister's iBook yo-yo lit
on fire when it failed.  I stopped leaving my powerbook plugged in
after that happened.

> Is my experience unusual?

Nope, that's three failed adapters in less than two years in my family.

> Has anyone come up with a strategy to extend the life of these
> (seemingly)
> troubled adapters?

Don't bend the wire any more than necessary.  Also, don't stretch it
when winding it back into the yo-yo (I think that's how I killed the
first one).  It goes without saying, but don use it *as* a yo-yo ( a
friend of mine cracked his in half doing that).

> And the iBook's battery now has a scant charge-life of about 20
> minutes.
> Could the faulty adapters have cut into the battery's life? Or is a
> year of
> daily use about all one can expect from an iBook (SE) battery?

My 2 year old PowerBook's battery loses half of its charge sleeping
overnight.  They wear out after a while.  From what I've heard, Apple
will replace them when under warrantee.

Good luck!

GmG
--
Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a
system of Government.

Send list messages to:  <mailto:G-Books@;mail.maclaunch.com>
For digest mode, email: <mailto:G-Books-digest@;mail.maclaunch.com>