> No. If someone *really* wants to get at your data, they can. Of course, that
> "someone" would have to be a *very* serious hacker or the NSA/FBI/CIA. They
> can get data off almost any drive.
>
> As a matter of fact, there are several companies, Drivesavers being one of
> them, that pride themselves on being able to recover data from drives that
> have had all manner of damage, intentional or not, done to them.

Pardon my lack of understanding of the inner mechanics of info storage and
retrieval and deletion...

When I update or replace a drive, and copy (or duplicate onto another hard
drive and then return the info to the newly installed drive) all information
to the new drive, does the data that was deleted or otherwise dropped from
normal access come along with the copying? IOW, how "deep" does such a
copying transfer go?

I switched from the 6 gig hard drive that came with this Pismo 400 (used) to
an Hitachi 20 gig about a year ago. The drive is very smooth and quiet, but
the drive "hangs up" and goes through a clicking (during this time no
processing is allowed to occur), as if it's trying to digest material or
something. After the clicking ceases, the machine returns to normal
operation.

Techs have not been able to locate a problem with software programs or the
drive itself (which was wiped clean and then the info reinstalled). So the
machine continues to periodically click and I just live with it -- at least
until I can anti-up for a new book.

Any comments?