On Monday, November 18, 2002, at 10:55 PM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:

> on 18/11/02 22:42, John Haumann at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> On Monday, November 18, 2002, at 08:10 PM, Geoffrey Loeffler wrote:
>>
>>> I have to send my 40 GNX back to trans intl, very loud and clicking
>>> sounds coming out of it right from the start and continued for last 30
>>> days.  I need to wipe this drive clean, really clean.  Will apples
>>> disk
>>> utility on 10.2  wipe it so no info will be able to be recovered or
>>> seen. If not what is best way delete the data I have on it.
>>> Thanks
>>> Geoff
>>>

>> Select the option to "zero" the drive.  That not only releases the
>> directory entries, but writes zeroes to the entire data portion of the
>> disk.
>
> I thought I read somewhere that this option was not well supported with
> IDE
> drives, so that may work or not. The best thing to do would be to write
> all
> over the drive, erasing whatever is on the disk. I have no idea on how
> to do
> that, however. There might be some utilities that would do that, but I
> don't
> know any. Still, try to zero the drive and see what happens.
>
> -Laurent.

I haven't installed Jaguar on my macs yet, but in anticipation of making
it the only OS on the machines, I asked an Apple Care guy about wiping
the hd clean. I can't find the index card with the options he mentioned,
but I vaguely remember him telling me that I would need some third party
utility to actually "reinitialize" the drive and that I could only zero
it out without a utility program to actually do more than zero out the
drive. I had that index card laying about for months and must have put
it somewhere "safe", because I can't find it now.
Does this make sense? One has only the option to zero all data? Is this
not as good for the hard drive as reinitializing?
Can anyone set me straight? I thought the difference would be
significant, that reinitializing the hd actually is good for the drive.
Is it a variation of defragmenting?
Thanks!
Donald