On Wednesday, December 4, 2002, at 08:18 AM, Amber Rhea wrote:

> On Tuesday, December 3, 2002, at 07:06 PM, (G-Books) wrote:
>
>> I did have a problem at some point with iChat. When I was selecting
>> the
>> buddy list from the menu extensions, the application wasn't launched
>> anymore. After reading some newsgroups, I found out that the file
>> 'com.apple.FCacheUserDomain' in Library/Caches was corrupted some how.
>> I did
>> remove the file and then iChat was working fine again. That might not
>> be
>> your problem, but you might want to give it a try.
>
> I tried it and nothing changed. :( So I guess my only other option is
> to create a new user and delete my old user?
>
> My account was the first one I created when I got the computer, will
> there be any problem deleting it? (I'm not an expert when it comes to
> UNIX-type things.) I figure if I login as root, I can delete any user,
> even if it's a 'super-user'.

Amber,

You shouldn't have any problem with deleting that user.  I would make
sure to grab all your stuff in Documents, Photos, Music and Movies.
Don't forget about the Desktop folder, if you use that.  Also, the
offending file is most likely a preferences file (location:
~/Library/Preferences/ ).  These can *USUALLY* be tossed with impunity
as they will be recreated.  The only thing you will lose are your
settings for all your apps, stuff like window locations and sizes,
bookmarks, etc.

A couple of important notes for you:  if you aren't aware of this,
~/Library/Preferences also will contain your mailboxes for Apple's Mail
app, along with your Explorer or preferred browser's bookmarks.  Other
files of importance include iTunes prefs, like your Library, iPhoto
files, if you use that, along with any third-party Systems Preferences
you may have installed (like TinkerTool.)  These can be found at:

~/Library/Preferences/Mail
~/Library/Preferences/Explorer
~/Library/Preferences/iTunes
~/Library/Preferences/PreferencePanes

My recommendation is to drag that stuff out of your old home directory
to your new desktop.  From there, move them one at a time to your new
Library/Preferences/ directory in the new user's home directory.  Take
a few moments to make sure that things remain stable.

Good luck, contact me off-list if you'd like more help.

Phil Burk
Systems Support Technician                                      Wiley Publishing, Inc.
10475 Crosspoint Blvd                                       Indianapolis, IN  46256
317.572.3049 phone                                                   317.572.1049 fax
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]