In a message dated 12/17/2002 5:11:31 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> I have been a Mac user since 1986 going from OS 4 through OS 9. I
> learned early on to read about the advantages of the system and wait
> for a couple of updates before upgrading. Based on what I have read
> so far I just do not see any advantage to upgrading to OS 10. In fact
> it seems more Windows-like than ever and to take advantage of any of
> its attributes (if any) I would have to upgrade my software.
>--snip, snip---
> Anyway, what am I missing? What are the real advantages of
> OS 10 over Windows?
     I have been around since OS6  and I know what you mean about waiting for the new
OS versions to stabilize before installing them.  But I should not have waited on OS
X.  It's STABLE.  Incredibly STABLE.  Can we say  NO ZERO  NONE  ZIP   NOT ONE single
system crash?  I haven't even gotten a kernal panic yet.  It's fast, it's powerful,
you can do actual multitasking.  I can download files from the net and still surf the
net  and read and write email.
   I'll admit I don't use the same programs you use,  but most programs will run in
the Classic side of OS X.  It's something that you can leave running  while you are in
OS X  and just switch to it when you need it (no waiting for it to boot up.)  I use
Pagemaker and Microsoft Excel with ease.
    The real advantage...the stability, speed, and ability to multitask.
       You should try it.  I regret waiting so long to switch.  I have it on a rev A
clamshell iBook and an 800 Ti.
                     Paula Rutledge