On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 06:26  PM, Obrecht, Jerry A wrote:

> The Big AlBook (17") also sports a faster buss...167MHz, per one of
> the Mac info sites.  What I am wondering is, which model of the G4
> processor is in it? As in, can it communicate with the main memory at
> DDR rate, or does it communicate only with the L3 cache at DDR?

I'm guessing that they probably use the same 74xx variant chips (7470?)
that the August 2002 PB's had, attached to the same (controversial)
memory system that Apple uses in the MDD G4's and the Xserve. This
means that the CPU communicates only with the L3 at DDR levels,
communicating with the main memory at SDR rates via the System
Controller.

AFAIK, the G4 chip which natively supports DDR memory is the 7457-RM,
but according to Moto's roadmap (last I heard), that isn't going to be
due until 2004, if they even come out with it at all.

--
justin

"one reason that we have such a wide variety of alternative lifestyles
is that
the conventional lifestyles that the conservatives champion are often
quite
flawed and restrictive."
        -moby