Kevin Stevens on 1/9/03 2:31 PM wrote:

> Yes, some of them are available in *either* USB 2 or Firewire.  That
> doesn't really help me, because I'm talking about a portable computer.
> I'm going to take it into the field, and I'm going to run into peripherals
> that I can't use.  Guaranteed.  It's going to be a hassle, and I'm going
> to have to buy a PCMCIA card to support USB2 and carry it around.

As I understand it, the USB port (1.1 or 2) doesn't provide enough power to
drive external devices, thus forcing you to carry around a power supply for
that device. It seems like this would be counter productive for people who
want to take portable devices into the field.

Shortly after I got my iBook (500/combo dual USB) I swapped in a 40GB drive.
I then bought a USB enclosure for the 10GB I removed. Unfortunately it would
run off of my iBooks USB port. I had to purchase an AC adapter for it.

After I realized how damned slow USB was (USB 2 wasn't out yet) I soon after
bought a FireWire enclosure. It works great, no AC. I liked it so much that
I now have a second drive (20GB this time) installed in an identical
FireWire enclosure.

I've also seen CDRWs that are FireWire bus powered but no USB counterpart
(although I haven't shopped for one since USB 2 came out). I had considered
buying one of these for the 24x burn speed since the iBook is only 4x.
Again, I didn't want to haul a wall-wart around.

My motivation wasn't political, rather practical. I needed true portability
without hauling a bunch of extra stuff around.

-Mark