>  >Open Transport seems to block my serial port.
>>
>>The only way to print or to sync my Palm is to restart with Open
>>Transport extensions disabled.
>
>I assume you mean Serial Port Monitor, which is the Palm's detector
>software - it scans your ports checking to see if a Palm device has
>been connected. . .

No, I mean Open Transport.  I need to disable the Open Transport
extension in order for Serial Port Monitor to work - in order for
ANYTHING to use my serial port.

It is true that Serial Port Monitor will block the serial port for
any other use (like my printer).  I toggle it on & off with
HotSyncCSM, and extremely convenient little CSM (except the times I
forget, and swear at my computer for getting worse & not printing
even with OT not loaded, and then find I forgot to toggle it off!).

But it doesn't appear to be the problem, since my printer spit out
the same garbage when booting off the OS 9 install CD (no palm
software) as it does whenever my computer boots with the Open
Transport extensions.  I take this to mean that whatever's grabbing
the serial port & preventing other use of it is part of the system -
so the basic problem might be hardware.

In fact, the symptom of spitting out garbage to my printer is similar
to a problem I used to have after crashes, where (IF I remember
correctly) Appletalk or the modem or something reverted to the
printer/modem port.  I fixed that by locking the Appletalk & Modem &
other settings by changing my user mode to administration & clicking
the padlock icons.  I've checked, & all those settings are still what
they should be.

Anne