Anne Judge on 1/16/03 12:58 PM wrote:

> I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!   That fixed it!!!!!  I thought that because
> Appletalk was safely locked on "ethernet" it wouldn't be affecting
> the printer/modem port.
>
> Snip

> I did used to have the garbage-spitting problem & know it was
> AppleTalk's fault when, many moons & a system ago, after system
> crashes AppleTalk would revert to talking over the printer/modem
> port.  Locking it (clicking the padlock when in the admin user mode)
> on "remote only" (NOW I realize - until I really thought about it I
> THOUGHT it was ethernet) had fixed that problem.

I remember when I had a Wallstreet, it often seemed that when disconnected
it from ethernet, it would default back to the serial/printer port. That
always irritated me! That's why your problem sounded so familiar. I pretty
sure this went away on later PowerBooks.

As a mater of fact, I think this same problem occurred on the early Quadras
and PowerMacs (pre-PCI) as well. If they didn't sense an ethernet connection
at startup (or wake up) they would always default to the serial port. It
wasn't that big a deal deal on the desktop machines as you could plug
non-AppleTalk printers into the modem port (as long as you didn't need a
modem of course).

This was all pre OSX for me, but since it still seems to happen for you, it
sounds like it's a hardware issue.

Perhaps you should create two locations. One for when you're connected to
ethernet and AppleTalk is enabled. And a location with AppleTalk disabled
when you're not on a network. It would save you having to open the network
preferences every time it gave you problems.

-Mark