On Wednesday, February 12, 2003, at 11:22 AM, Thomas Ethen wrote:

> I have tired my 280c and 2300c in bright sunlight and they are not as
> nice
> as the B&W displays of the older Duo's such as the 230. The passive B&W
> displays are very easy to read in direct sunlight, although they are
> extremely limited in what programs they will run.
>
> Tom
>> I haven't tried our 280c's screen in bright sunlight, but I'm betting
>> it
>> would look good too. It has the most beautiful screen I have ever
>> seen on a
>> laptop, despite it's 640x480 resolution...

Passive matrix screens are always going to look better in direct
sunlight. That's about the only thing that Passive Matrix has against
Active Matrix. That's just the nature of the beast.

The 280C's screen is, indeed, beautiful. And it's up near the top...
but I think that the 15" screens on the newest PowerBook G4's are
probably the best I've encountered. Nice and bright... the screen
brightness is about the only thing that makes me consider trading in my
G4 400 for a newer model. The difference between my 400's screen and
the current 1GHz's screen is night and day...