On Thursday, February 20, 2003, at 02:13  PM, Eric D. wrote:

> The cons are that VPC could now ... (b) VPC could now focus
> exclusively on Windows, thereby leaving Linux out of the loop.

It is my understanding that one of the reasons Microsoft bought VPC is
so that they can capitalize on running operating systems like Linux and
BSD on powerful Intel servers running some version of Windows and VPC
for Windows.  This is good for Microsoft because it can potentially
save many customers who would otherwise switch to those other operating
systems exclusively, particularly large service companies who must meet
a number of clients' differing platform demands.  This is (in theory)
good for the consumers (the service companies and their clients)
because they can offer these platforms running atop Windows without
investing in new hardware, the space to house it, etc.  Brilliant idea,
if you ask me.  The question is, will companies buy it when they can
get relatively cheap hardware/software configurations without the
Microsoft middleman.

Any way you look at it, let's give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt.
And I doubt they will kill the VPC Mac package because, frankly, a
software license to run Windows on a Mac (a legally purchased license
that is) is no less $$ for them than for it to run on their own native
platform.  If anything, the move to purchase VPC is an affront to
Intel, and means more money for Microsoft no matter which way you toss
the dice.  I don't think they are stupid enough to think that they can
win back "switchers" by removing options like VPC -- Mac users are too
cultish for that to happen.

Anyway, to bring this back on topic, somewhat:  I have VPC 6 on my
700Mhz iBook.  I can't get the network sharing to work in XP
Professional under either OS 9 or X.2 (any suggestions?).  Either way,
performance is impressive under OS 9, and wows friends of mine to see
that it is even possible.  I am hoping that the marriage of VPC and
Microsoft will only improve performance, not so much because I have any
use for Windows (I most emphatically do not), but because it is always
fun to do something on a Mac that you cannot do in Windows.  It's
helped me "switch" a few people, who are all now avid Mac fans yet can
still get to those old Windows programs they cling to.

--Chris